Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Trip to Yellowstone National Park, Day 3

Day 3

We wake up, pack up the tent, and head back to Jackson. We go to the rec center where we can get showers for only 7$ a person! What a deal! Not. My dad and I go running before we take our showers though. We go on our run around the residential part of town. I found my house, for only 1.5 million dollars. We run up to the Snow King Ski Resort and go through a tunnel that leads us right into an active construction site. So we turn around at that point and head back to the center. My sister informs us that the showers have little buttons you have to press all the time to make the shower keep going. So I pay 7$ for my shower and begin pressing the button every 5 seconds like my sister said. It wasn't very warm either. But I finally felt clean after 3 days without a shower.

We repack the car and head up to Yellowstone National Park. As it turns out, you have to go through Grand Teton National Park to get to Yellowstone when you come up through Jackson. So we pay our 25$ ebtrance fee that "is good for 7 days and gets us into both parks". We enter and right off the bat try to find a campsite. We find a campground, with showers, or so we thought, right in the middle of bear country. Again. We set up and leave to go see Old Faithful.

It takes us around a two hour drive to get to the geyser, but we get there just in time. Everyone wsa leaving to go see it go off. I was wearing shorts, bad idea. It was FREEZING cold. Old Faithful goes off and we set out to go explore the rest of the basin around it. The pools were so blue and pretty and Morning Glory pool was one of the most cool things I've ever seen. There were bacterial deposits everywhere, painting the landscape with a orange and green pallatte. It starts to pour too much so we head for the lodge.

The food there was less than impressive. They did not have a very good selection. So i ate a ton of potato wedges. After we shopped around for a bit I'm pretty sure we went back to the campsite and went to bed. Lame. I'm not sure why my parents are such a big fan of going to bed so early. We had firewood and S'mores stuff, and yet.... nothing.

That night was freezing!!! I think my dad said there was a low of 32, which seriously is freezing. The dog was cold too, and since I was the only one awake, she climbed into my sleeping bag. She went all the way to the bottom, which made my sleeping bag about two to three feet shorter. So I froze to death the whole night. Ohhh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?